Writing Song of the Day: “Fancy” by Drake ftg. T.I. and Swizz Beatz
So, you may remember Quita and I boasting about how we’re taking part of the Plot and Paper Project revolution
. You know, that cool idea where writers actually write
in a notebook instead of typing on a computer. And we were thrilled. We bought funky, Michael Jackson notebooks and cute new pens and our ideas started flowing, but our notebooks look like this:
And we feel like this:
Quita has really good excuses for why she hasn’t gotten to it. She’s taking like 50 history classes right now along with her creative writing classes. Not to mention she’s teaching full-time.
And my excuses are almost as good as her–but the truth is, I’m kind of still in love with my ex.
I’m not talking about all of the outstanding men I’ve date (cough-yeah right-cough), but I mean Wants, my first YA manuscript. I took some time away from it over the summer to “see other people,” and everything was great for a while. I started getting a new crush and it was so much to see where the relationship was heading…
But then I started submitted chapters of Wants to my writing workshops. And then I reread an email from an agent that requested a “revision and resubmit.” And before I knew it, Wants sucked me right back in and now I’m completely obsessed. It’s my first true love, and I truly believe the more I go back to it, the more better “we” can become.
Has that ever happened to any of you? Have you tried to take time away from a project but absence only made the heart grow fonder?
Brainstorming Song of the Day: “Wherever I May Roam” by Metallica
Wow, June 30th was the last time either of us wrote on this blog–that’s a little over two months ago. We sure have missed all of our lovely followers. Believe us, this summer has been crazy.
We haven’t just been sitting around, eating candy and watching Inception
over and over again (although we did see it twice, and maybe, probably, definitely are planning to see it one more time in the theaters). So, what have we been up to during our unplanned summer hiatus?
- We attended the SCBWI conference in LA! Yes, we learned a lot. Yes, we had a blast. No, we did not post notes from our workshops on the blog. You see, we wanted to, but then so many other wonderful bloggers did, as well. And their notes were extensive, much better than anything we could’ve offered. However, we may still share some things in the near future.
- We attended our last 10 day residency in New Jersey for our MFA programs! That’s right, this time next year we’ll have a shiny new degree in our hands. That is, of course, if we finish our creative thesis. And present a craft and form lecture. And have all of our materials approved by a panel. But we can do it, right? Right? *Gulp*
- Wrote like some fiends! Quita completed her second manuscript, and I halfway completed my second manuscript, as well as got inspired by a shiny new idea (SNI). But more on that a little later.
- Returned to work. ‘Nuff said.
- Saw Inception. A lot. Fell in love with it. Got inspired to write a collaboration project (not the SNI mentioned above).
- Exercised. And we still hate it.
With all of that out of our system, we’re ready to dive back into our blog and share some cool stuff with you all. Like this. That’s right, we have succumbed to the Plot & Paper Project. We even bought cool new notebooks. Check them out:
Yep. We’re bad. And excited! We’ll make sure to keep you updated on our progress, as well as provide you with goodies over the next few weeks. Does goodies mean contest? Hmm, maybe. Did we mention that we’ve missed you? 🙂