It’s not like we have enough to do, right? Right. So we’ve decided to join the Ready. Set. Write! crew this summer and set some realistic goals for ourselves. If you wanna play along click on the link above to venture to Katie Upperman’s blog (one of the hosts along with Alison Miller, Jamie Morrow, Erin Funk, and Elodie Nowodazkij) and find all the deets about the summer writing intensive that encourages goal-setting, accountability, and camaraderie.
We’re back from our SCBWI extravaganza and we’ve got thangz to report. Ready or not, here it goes:
Pam’s Check In:
- Write at least 2000 words for my new WIP–> KINDA done. I became super-inspired during my time at LA SCBWI, so I was able to complete character sketches and a general idea of the synopsis. So while my 2000 words weren’t exactly part of my draft–at least I put in some work for it!
- Read half of a new novel during travels to and from LA–> I actually read MORE than half. I’m a few pages away from the end of Galgorithm by Aaron Karo (which I picked up at the conference bookstore), and it’s that perfect combo of heart and humor. Can’t wait to finish!
- Attend a session outside of my comfort zone while at SCBWI –> DONE, yo! I attended a session on writing nonfiction for young adults and teens, and not only did it get the creative juices flowing–I also nabbed a free book (Alice & Freda Forever by Alexis Coe–looks like a creepy, yet awesome, read).
- Work out at least once while in LA–> YEP! Quita and I ran…and did not get lost. Possibly because we made sure to just keep circling the hotel this time.
Quita’s Check In:
- Settle on a new plan for YOU WILL LOSE HIM & stick with it–> CHECK! I have created & completed (one more ‘gin) a SHINY NEW plan for this revision. I wholeheartedly intend to stick with it.
- Complete character sketches & plotting for WIP–> Character sketch for one MC is complete and I have started plotting the first few chapters; however, Pam heard some G.R.E.A.T advice from Meg Wolitzer at SCBWI that I think I’m going to try for this novel. Thus, plotting has been halted.
- Begin reading a new novel–> I am reading (and enjoying) Stacey Lee’s Under a Painted Sky. While I’m reading for pleasure, since my WIP is historical YA, I’m also taking a few pointers.
- Enjoy time @ SCBWI –> If I report on this one too much, I’d end up writing much more than a sentence or two. I LOVED the breakout sessions I attended, keynotes were ON FLEEK (oh, and very inspiring) and getting to spend an entire weekend with Racquel was truly amazing. This goal was definitely achieved.
Our Goals for the Week
1. Work on Awesome Agent’s notes for my YA thriller revision.
2. Write at least 1500 words to the actual narrative of my WIP.
3. Work out at least 3 times this week (the heatwave and traveling has given me a case of the blahgitty-blahs).
- Okay…this is a BIG one. I want…to FINISH my revisions on YWLH by the time I check in next week. GAH!
2. Exercise at least three times
3. Write at least 1k on new historical WIP
One Word/Phrase that Encompasses What We Wrote/Revised:
Curiosity. My WIP will be my first time creating new characters in a loooooong time, so I’m wondering where they may take me…
Getting there. I was able to actually write some of the novel after coming up with my new plan. This book is my Everest.
Biggest Challenge We Faced This Week:
TV. The DVR was filled with guilty pleasures during my trip to LA, so of course I had to empty it, right? Right?!
Well, I somehow got bronchitis on the way back from LA so that was fun.
Something We Love About our WIPs/Novels We’re Revising:
The NEWNESS of everything. Drafting is usually my least favorite part of the writing process, but I haven’t started a story from scratch in almost two years. Let’s see if I remember how to do this!
The various avenues that I can travel with this story/ these characters. I kinda have a one track mind so talking things out with my awesome critique partner/life coach (i.e. Pam) has helped me remember that I’m the master of this book. *cue wiggly eyebrows*
Wow, another week down! We can’t believe it’s August already! How are you guys coming along with your goals?