It’s not like we have enough to do, right? Right. So we’ve decided to join the Ready. Set. Write! crew this summer and set some realistic goals for ourselves. If you wanna play along click on the link above to venture to Katie Upperman’s blog (one of the hosts along with Alison Miller, Jamie Morrow, Erin Funk, and Elodie Nowodazkij) and find all the deets about the summer writing intensive that encourages goal-setting, accountability, and camaraderie.
Long time no see! It’s been a hectic two weeks but now we’re ready to share our progress.
Pam’s Check In:
Turn in my revision to Awesome Agent.–>I wish I had an oven timer attached to me because this goal is DONE. And now while I wait to hear from Awesome Agent about my revision, I can get cracking with drafting a new idea.
FINALLY finish reading Paper Towns.–> Again, CHIME. That’s my oven timer, if you couldn’t tell. Now it’s time to search for my next book.
Spend time with friends.–>Not only did Quita and I get to spend time with Racquel, but we get to see her later this week for the SCBWI conference in LA–woo hoo!
Quita’s Check In:
1. Revise at least half of YOU WILL LOSE HIM –> Closebutnotquite…I almost got to the halfway point and then I fell out of love with the draft again and took a little break to re-plot. I’m definitely having a supreme love/hate relationship with this revision.
2. Hopefully get back to reading–> I successfully finished Laurie Halse Anderson’s Catalyst and will now move on to something new. Woo hoo!
3. Enjoy time with friends (see Pam’s # 3)–> Yay! This was definitely a success. Any time we get to see our sistah Racquel, I’m always happy.
Our Goals for the Week
1. Write at least 2000 words for my new WIP.
2. Read half of a new novel during travels to and from LA (book still to be determined).
3. Attend a session outside of my comfort zone while at SCBWI (I’m looking at you picture book and/or nonfiction workshops).
4. Work out at least once while in LA (and hopefully not get lost with Quita during my jog through the city this time).
1. Settle on a new plan for YOU WILL LOSE HIM & stick with it (if no writing gets done this week, that’s okay)
2. Complete character sketches & plotting for WIP (maybe start writing this to take a break from revising??)
3. Begin reading a new novel
4. Enjoy the LA SCBWI International Conference!!
One Word/Phrase that Encompasses What We Wrote/Revised:
Satisfied. As I’ve mentioned before, the revision was a challenge, but I was overall pleased with the final product.
Love-hate. Okay, that’s cheating a little bit…but like I mentioned before, I keep going up and down with this revision so that’s the best I can think of right now.
Biggest Challenge We Faced This Week:
Pam & Quita:
Since we were not able to provide an update last week, there’s no denying that time has once again been our enemy.
Something We Love About our WIPs/Novels We’re Revising:
That this round of revisions is DONE…ha!
The love part of the love-hate relationship I have for my novel continues to be my female MC. She’s the reason that I keep hanging on. I want to tell her story…I just gotta figure out how.
So that’s all we’ve got this week. What about you guys?
** Also just a quick heads up: Since, as we’ve mentioned, we’ll be in LA for the AWESOME SCBWI conference, we most likely won’t have time to do our check in next Monday. However, we’ll be sure to be around the interwebz to see how you all are doing!**