It’s that time again…the freakin’ weekend! And once again, me and Pam are traveling. This time we’re headed to Shenandoah National Park in northern Virginia for what is sure to be an ah-may-zing SCBWI novel retreat. But we couldn’t leave without participating in Pam’s group blog Paper Hangover’s Friday Fives.
Also, we have a few announcements to make…so make sure you don’t leave until you get to the end!
1. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins: We have raved about this book here and here. I don’t think there’s more we can say– except the book is fun, light, and absolutely clever. A must read for the summer!
2. The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare: Okay, so this may not be “light” reading, but the summer is a great time to get caught up on the series. There are 4 books out already and more to come. If you want to be a part of the craze for the next book in the series, then use the summer to read what you’ve missed thus far.
3. The Iron Fey Series by Julie Kagawa: I brought these books for Pam for her birthday b/c she is working on a fairies book and she wanted to see what else is out there. She’s going to use the summer to get caught up on the series so she can be ready for the next book.
4. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling: Pam bought me the first book for my birthday b/c I told her I wanted to start reading them. I am now hooked! I’ll be using the summer to read ALL of the books and hopefully start watching the movies as well.
5. Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz: Pam read Gone, Gone, Gone and RAVED. So, we figured Invincible Summer must be just as good, if not better. Plus, you can’t go wrong with the word “summer” in the title!
Announcement # 1: We are going on a blogging hiatus. Fear not, loyal followers! We shall return in ONE WEEK- June 20th, 2011. So, you have to go one week w/out us…don’t celebrate too much.
Announcement # 2: This one is much more EXCITING! We are giving away TWO books to celebrate our one year blogging anniversary (as of 5/31/2011–Pam and I have been blogging together for one WHOLE year!) AND to celebrate all of the awesomeness that we experienced at Weekend of Awesome. Because we want to celebrate that joyous occasion we will give away two books that we learned about from our new real life friends 🙂
Book # 1: Notes From the Blender by Brendan Halpin and Trish Cook. You can read what Goodreads has to say about this novel here. We got to do a Skype chat with Brendan during WOA (thanks to Erinn) and he is so funny and witty. Those elements are sure to show up in his novel and we KNOW you will enjoy it! But, wait…there’s more! This book will be signed by Brendan Halpin himself!
Book # 2: Fill-in-the-Blank Plotting by Linda George: The link will take you to the Goodreads page where you can learn more. But this book was introduced to us by Alicia during WOA and it is AWESOME! It’ll help you to plot your novel based on the Hero’s journey and the Three- Act structure.
Now that that’s over with…we’d love to know what books you all are looking forward to reading this summer!